Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years

As we look back over 10 years, we can marvel at how much our lives have changed.  I was in Bible College, working full time, wasn’t married, no kids and just returning from a missions trip to Ukraine.  My life has changed so much.  Isn’t it more amazing how much our lives can change in a second?  The birth of a child, an unexpected gift or promotion, a phone with news of the sudden death of a brother, or, for all of us in different ways Tuesday, September 11, 2001.  I am sure you remember exactly where you were.  I was at work sitting at my desk.  My friend Sarah Hallett called me or I called her and turned on the news (I was in a classroom and had a TV).  I remember staring at the TV in shock wondering what was going to happen next.  Thinking maybe it was an accident until the second plane hit.  Shock.  Shock.  The only word to describe such a state.  The other trainers gathered in the other training room and I remember the secretary making light of the situation and wanting to literally take her down for letting those precious innocent people die in vain in her mind.  Then I sent an email to a friend in Ukraine asking them to pray because our country was at war.  Wow.  It was intense and I was only in Baltimore County.  Not in the Pentagon, not on a plane and not in NYC.  I can’t even imagine.  My heart goes out to those who lost someone on that day.  My heart goes out to the mothers and fathers who have left little children to go fight across the ocean for our freedom.  All of those who have sacrificed in some way for our country.  My late brother spent years fighting the war on terror in the middle east and central Asia.  I thank him and everyone else.  Most of all, I thank God that through all of this tragedy He never changes and continues to have plan for our lives even if it doesn’t add up to what we had in mind.  His love is so great and I can see His mercies even in the midst of travesty. 

No comments: