Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Hudson’s Check Up (Yesterday)

I am growing to love Hudson’s doctor more and more.  He’s a pediatrician and an infectious disease doctor.  He was recommended to me by my friend Beth’s entire family.  When I first brought Henry to him, I didn’t get the warm and fuzzies, but the man has grown on me. 

I am not pro-vaccines or anti-vaccines.  I think they have played an important part in history and probably still do.  I just like to be informed about what is going into my child’s body and I think the number of vaccines is getting ridiculous.   I don’t think infants should be immunized against sexually transmitted diseases.  I also have a concern with the infant mortality rate in our country which is extremely high for a developed nation and for a nation with more vaccines than any other nation.  It’s all something to think about.  I don’t take it lightly.  It’s a different world than when I was a kid and even from 10 years ago.  So you can imagine my anxiety when facing Dr. Infectious Disease about my concerns on Tuesday.  He was great.  I was on the fence about giving Hudson the Hib vaccine this early.  I ask him which he thought was the most important and we went it the other virus that more commonly causes meningitis in babies these days.  Hudson has done well with the shot so far.  I would by lying if I said I wasn’t nervous then and now. 

The doctor was calling him big guy during the visit.  I was sure Hudson weighed close to twenty pounds.  He weighs 16.5.  Then I thought maybe he wasn’t gaining weight as fast as he was.  The doctor chuckled because he off the charts in weight for his age.  I didn’t catch his length this time.  He’s not small.  That’s for sure.

I’m madly in love with my 3 month old big guy and so glad he had a good appointment. 

No comments: