Wednesday, December 7, 2011

God Enjoys Breaking Things

These are my thoughts based on the words from Pastor Matti’s message (sermon) in church tonight.  Pastor Matti is a Finnish Pastor who has served as a missionary in the former Soviet Union when it was still such a nation, Central Asia, Sweden and now in Istanbul, Turkey.  He is also an accomplished artist and had an art opening in New York City last night at which he and another Greater Grace missionary from Azerbaijan led an attorney to the Lord in front of one of his paintings.  You can follow his life on his blog here. 

Pastor Matti on the far right and his painting in the middle.

I love what he said tonight.  God really likes to break things.  Cain was angry with God because his offering wasn’t acceptable.  God told him not to be angry to get right and do the right thing.  Do I(we) have a program or plan that isn’t/ hasn’t been acceptable to God?  Are we angry?  Has God smashed it?  God has a way of letting us build our little plans.  Maybe 5 years.  Maybe 10.  Maybe 15.  He may even let us almost finish and then He breaks it.  Wow.  That has been me.  Even doing things for God.  Or doing my own thing or the thing I really want and thinking God is going along with it because God is allowing it.  When He breaks it, do I get mad?  Maybe.  Should I stay mad?  No.  I need to do what is right and acceptable.  God is more interested in me understanding His holiness and me getting closer to Him than satisfying all my temporal desires.  That came from this morning’s devotional – Larry Crabb’s Love Letters from God.  I can get so focused on relieving what ever is going on than fellowshipping with His holiness.  May I fellowship with His holiness so my life can be the living epistle that 100’s read before they ever (and if ever) they pick up the Word of God.

No comments: