Wednesday, January 25, 2012

We Have an Enemy

Ephesians 6 reminds us we, as Christians, have an enemy.  And it’s not the person attacking you at work.  It’s not the family member who seems to have disowned you.  It’s not your spouse if you are not getting along.  It’s not the annoying person on the highway or checkout line.  Our enemy is not flesh and blood.  Although our enemy is very good at enlisting flesh and blood.  Sometimes us.  Sometimes other Christians.  I love it when scripture reminds me of this.  I releases me to love others more than my own skin even when the relationship is strained. 

Where would we be without God?  Seriously. Even when we were enemies and even when we continue to disrespect Him on a daily basis.  I did an exercise today in my Bible study thinking about where my life would be if God had delivered me in areas (He will continue by His grace until I go home).   Scary thoughts.

Psalm 124:2 – 8 (The Message {I do not endorse this particular translation – don’t know enough about it but love the text for these verses}).

If God hadn't been for us
      when everyone went against us,
   We would have been swallowed alive
      by their violent anger,
   Swept away by the flood of rage,
      drowned in the torrent;
   We would have lost our lives
      in the wild, raging water.
6 Oh, blessed be God!
      He didn't go off and leave us.
   He didn't abandon us defenseless,
      helpless as a rabbit in a pack of snarling dogs.
7 We've flown free from their fangs,
      free of their traps, free as a bird.
   Their grip is broken;
      we're free as a bird in flight.
8 God's strong name is our help,
      the same God who made heaven and earth.

No comments: