Thursday, February 3, 2011

Random Thoughts

I am so tired but too wired to sleep.  I haven’t been spending much time on the computer because I have been unpacking, cleaning and organizing.   I think we have unpacked more in this house than we ever have! 

Do we miss Maine?  No.  I am sorry my family isn’t closer but we are so thrilled about our decision to move and feel total peace about being here.  But, yes, Maine is very beautiful and we will always visit.

What is our next plan?  We don’t have a “next” plan.  We are enjoying our time as a family in our new area, with old friends and really enjoying hearing the Word of God being preached live!  (This is the first time Henry has willingly gone to nursery AND stayed there!  Such a blessing.)  We are content where we are until God speaks something else. 

When did Dave start his job?  Today.  I have to admit it was really nice having him around all day.  It was a long first day without him.  Maggie, Henry and I were watching the windows from 4:45 on to see if he was home yet.

Did we buy a house?  No.  We were planning on it, but our plans aren’t always the way things work out.  Sometimes that’s for the good.  I am really glad the short sale didn’t work out because I really like the area we are in.   I hope to get outside and take some walks soon.

How is Henry adjusting?  Henry is having a blast.  He hasn’t missed a beat.

How is Maggie adjusting?  Considering Maggie was kicked out of our room for over a year and she has successfully made her way back, her life is grand!

Is it difficult going from a some what big house to a smaller house?  Not really.  We found in the last two houses we owned, while we really loved both of them for different reasons, there was a lot of space we never really used.  At least with a smaller house you have no choice but to maximize the use of the space.

Do I miss my house?  No.  I am a total failure on a daily basis, but I’d rather be in the will of God and have contentment in my life than own any house any where. 

A while back I wrote a blog or comment on if I could be friends with two people.  I would like to make it three and add Watchman Nee to the list.  I was commenting on him briefly with Pastor Schaller earlier tonight.  I said that his Breaking the Outer Man book was a little depressing.  What I mean by that is I don’t think most people are like, “Yeah, God.  Come on.   Bring on the tragedies.  Break my outer man to release my spirit.”  I remember reading the book and almost wanting to stop because I felt responsible for the knowledge I had gained.  I think that’s why tonight’s message at church about living in the new man is so key.  There is nothing in the old man that wants to be broken.  Not really broken.  But the new man is from the incorruptible seed and that man can find joy in sorrow.  Not because he/she is awesome or has arrived, but because the life, strength, everything comes from God.  That’s the exact reason He (God) has to break the outer man because we are so good at being deceived and deceiving ourselves into thinking God is doing it when we really are OR thinking we CAN do it.  That’s why we can rejoice in the breaking.  We know it will be more of God and less of us.

I told you this would be random.  I really enjoyed the book and author of Jack about C.S. Lewis.  At times the book was a little too scholarly on the literature (getting into Lewis’ works) side but I am so thankful the author is/was a Christian.  It was nice to hear of some of Lewis’ struggles in a tasteful way that did not take away from who he was in Christ but comforted the reader in knowing we are all on a level playing field with this body of sin and death.

I am really enjoying the book about Bonhoeffer.  I feel like I am getting to know him and more about Martin Luther and German history all at the same time.  I think it’s sad that many people have taken his letters he wrote in prison under great duress out of context and have allowed minor theological differences to prevent all of us from learning from such a laid down  life.  Bonhoeffer’s life has really impressed spiritual discipline and  diligence on my heart.  He truly loved the Word of God and meditated on it day and night.

No comments: