Monday, February 14, 2011

Our Story Part 2

Technorati Tags:

Well.  Here goes.  It’s after 11 on Valentine’s Day (night) and I can’t sleep.  Probably the espresso Beth made me at 3 pm was not the wisest choice.  But it was fun!  Fun day with a friend!  And a fun evening with my husband and son!

Grace

Taken the night before Rye’s wedding and I was 3 months pregnant.

So.  Where to begin.  Let’s clarify.  There wasn’t any time/ room for a work boyfriend AND most people at work (Dave was one of them) thought I was becoming a nun, I was Amish OR I didn’t like guys (because I brought my friend to the company picnics as my date!  Ha!).  So.  There wasn’t like I had many options for work boyfriends along with not wanting one.  The whole straight and narrow I mentioned is another whole story I will tell later.  I wasn’t always seeking after God and one of the reasons I wasn’t looking for a boyfriend is because I had made many poor choices in that arena prior to seeking after God and that was because He first sought me.  So, my life was WAY better at that time than it had been before I starting walking with God.  I was content, having a blast and just loving life.  It’s hard to decide what to include in the story.  Hmmm. 

054

Mexico – weird how this photo turned out.

First time I remember talking to Dave:  I had to call him to schedule one of his employee’s testing.  I remember not knowing how to pronounce his last name.  How funny is that?  And I remember him being ultra professional.

025

Did the insta-crush continue?:  I have to admit it was hard not to notice where Dave was and what he was doing when in the same room.  In a way so no one knew what I was doing.  But.  I remember he offered me a ride back to my office (in another building) because it was pouring rain one day.  I got into his pick up truck and he had a sticker on the back and was playing music I hated.  That kind of killed the distance crush.  I always kept tabs on him through other people because he was so private no one could figure him out.  And I remember being slightly disappointed to hear he was in love with a fellow employee who was a very nice, professional, and pretty lady.  Keep in mind this was all in my head and from a very big distance.  No one knew any of it and I never stalked him or went looking for him.  It was kind of like when I saw him or ran into him, I got that nervousness a school girl would get because she thinks a guy is cute.  That’s it.

090

Bratty face ;)

So fast forward to 2001.  Just after September 11.  I had JUST returned from a six week trip to Ukraine and found myself having to look for a place to live.  Being the naive person I was, I wondered why I couldn’t buy a house.  It paid off.  I bought a house in the beginning of December, 2001.  JUST after buying the house big announcements were made at our company that there would be big layoffs coming soon to a department near you.  No wait, your department.  Gone.  Learning and Development just isn’t a high priority in a major economic crisis.  I have to admit I was a little nervous.  In fact, I remember bawling my eyes out the day we heard (at home, of course, in my room).  I had just bought a house.  Then I remembered that God was in control.  Funny how that takes a life time to sink in and then we go to be with Him.  I went to work the day of the cuts.  I watched my coworkers get walked down a hill from building two to building one never to return.  They got “the box” as we affectionately began to call it. “ The box” meant your belongings were packed up and shipped to you because you got the axe.  I began my walk to the gallows.  But something happened.  The big wig of Dave’s department really liked me and decided to offer me a position in his department.  I was the only one spared and positions weren’t really created in those types of hardships.  It was really funny this man saved my job if you knew our history.  But that’s too much.  So I found myself thrown into a position as a collections supervisor (managing a staff of employees) along side Dave and many other people.  They had all recently had their jobs changed as well because their department was dissolved.   The tides began to turn (as far as crushes go).  I hate to brag but I was the fun supervisor among the supervisors (maybe not so with the staff).  While everyone in the company was beginning to get negative because of the corporate climate, I knew Who was in control and was able to be light hearted.   People began to notice and get to know me and Dave was one of those people.  HIS crush began to form.  He realized I was not a nun in training (not that there’s anything wrong with that).  He began to notice me and I had lost and fascination with him or so I thought…  And so the next part begins…

12-9-07 029

No comments: