Friday, February 11, 2011

Books

Just a side note on books…

I really enjoyed (not in every sense) the book I read on Bonhoeffer.  The reason not in every sense is I learned A LOT more about Nazi torture methods and the evil ways of that party.  I found it VERY disturbing.  It really made me glad the man over in the Middle East was captured and killed if you know what I mean.  They and we are dealing with some serious sources of evil that go into a realm beyond human weakness and frailty.  We are talking some majorly satanic stuff here.  M.A.J.O.R.L.Y.  Very disturbing but very encouraging that men like Bonhoeffer knew his/ our God was MUCH bigger and even if in man’s standards it looked like he was fighting a lost battle, Bonhoeffer’s fight was not in vain even if he lost his life (which he did) if it meant he were walking in the steps God ordained for him.  He counted it a privilege to be killed by the same method in the same place where many, many, many (I’m talking if we really thought about it we would be sickened) of God’s chosen people were brutally murdered.  I learned so much about the German culture and how conflicted they were about conspiring against Hitler and his evil regime even though they HATED him.  How the press including the American press lumped the conspirators and the Nazis into one large German grouping.  I think I delayed finishing the book because I so badly didn’t want Bonhoeffer to die and wanted him to run down the aisle happily ever after with his fiancé.   But I knew he died just two weeks before the Americans liberated the prisoners.  I was sad the book didn’t tell more about what happened to his fiancé after his death.  

Now I need to finish reading Shattered Dreams by Larry Crabb whose wife’s name is Rachael and spelled the same way.   Makes him rate even higher in my book. 

No comments: