Monday, April 18, 2011

Crazy Lazy Days

The Umstead Family has had some crazy busy days while our niece Hana has been visiting.  They almost always include a portion of the Schaller family.  Saturday we (Hana, Miss Lulu Odahara and I) did an art project I found in the most recent issue of the Do It Yourself Magazine.  I have turned into my grandmother Charlotte with collecting magazines.  I absolutely love Country Living and Do It Yourself.  I am on my aunt's and cousin's hand me down list for any home magazine.  Love, love, love!!!

So we set out in the pouring rain to Michael's to get our fabric paint, gel glue and paint brushes.  Other supplies needed are something to protect your table (I used newspaper), containers for mixing paint colors (fabric paint is very expensive so you might want to buy just a couple of colors and make the rest based on those), tape, scissors, pencils and fabric.


We used fabric from my extra fabric supply.  We taped it down to the newspapers.  And I let them sketch some sketches on paper before they did it on fabric.  I practiced on paper and then just decided to wing it with gel glue on an art canvas.
Snacks are a must for any intense art project!
This is difficult to see, but I taped the sides and wrote in glue the places I wanted to remain white.  You can glue paint around the letters too so only the letters are painted. This is our first one so we were all experimenting. 

This is what the glue gel looks like if you are trying to find it.  Not all craft supply stores sell it.

The glue takes a while to dry but you definitely want to make sure it is before you paint.  I used a hair dryer.
The fabric paint I used is very, very thick and hard to spread on fabric material.  I cut mine with a little water before I painted my canvas. I even painted over the glued letters.


After the paint dried, I started to peel off the glue letters.
Lulu didn't use the glue part.  She painted directly onto the fabric.
Hana did both painting directly and using the glue.

P4180509.jpg

Mine after peeling all the glue off.  I glued around the edges where the tape was as well.

You can use this process as a cheaper screen print option on clothing and pilows.  If the glue doesn't peel off, wash it off with warm soapy water after the paint dries.

Although we have filled our days with fun, we are taking time to watch movies, have late night walks, eating lots of great food and sleeping in.  I don't think Hana has been up before 10 am since Friday.

Tonight we are having a bonfire at aunt Stacey's, so we have been taking it easy at the house trying to catch up on my chores.

Here are some thoughts from Rachael: 

Some thoughts I have been meditating on since reading my devotionals over the past few days, hearing the message last night (I had nursery in the morning and Hana helped me) and having a great conversation with my friend Beth.

First thought is things go a lot more smoothly if you communicate to kids.  I have found a 12 year old will keep asking what you are doing next even if they are enjoying themselves unless you clearly communicate the day's plans.  I think this lesson will help with the rest of my life.

Second thought is God has really been speaking to me about letting go.  Letting go of my concepts of how things are going to work out or how things should be.  I wrote in my blog a few weeks back: "God answer my prayer or do something greater".  God has really been showing me through the messages at church and meditations that I (we) have to let go of what God is telling us to let go of before He brings something new.  Pastor Schaller preached a sermon on Joseph last night from pasture to pit to prison to palace.  Can you imagine if Joseph was holding onto his wounds in the prison?  Would he ever have made it to the palace?  I don't know.  Also, we sacrifice the bigger thing God could do in our lives and the lives of others when we save our self in the moment.  Imagine if Jesus saved Himself in the moment and didn't go to the cross.  God brought to my mind a time when my brother and friends used to jump from this bolder over the bubbling brook across the street from our house only to land safely on the other side.  I was always afraid to jump.  So one day when all the boys were occupied with Cub Scouts I set out to make the jump.  I stood on the rock to get the courage and then I did it.  Sort of.  I jumped but then reached back to grab some straggling branches.  My grasp and the small sticks were not enough to keep me from falling.  I landed in the stream.  I didn't get hurt but could have.  I was a mess.  Isn't that what it's like when we try to let go with God and then reach back for control?  Such a mess.

Thought three:  I was talking to my friend Beth on our late night walk with Hana.  Hana walked ahead and listened to her ipod.  We were talking about making a decision and Beth made a very profound statement.   Sometimes we live in fear of making a decision because we want so badly to make the right decision for our family, God and our walk with Him.  The very act of not making a decision is making a decision.  Wow.  I love that.

Thought Four:  Is please take a look at this blog and pray for these children.  Please pass on the word and consider hosting or adopting teenage boys.

I am linking up over here today:

<Photobucket



1 comment:

Katie @ minivan diva said...

Project=Super cool!
Learning to let go=Super tough. God will lead you.
Blessings,
Katie