Monday, April 11, 2011

Adventure Mixed with a Dash of Danger

I like adventure mixed with danger.  And sometimes laugh when others get hurt.  Well, we sometimes laugh when others get hurt.  My Aunt Stacey and I.  That’s why they call me Stacey Junior.   It’s not good.  We don’t mean to do it or maybe we do.  It happened today.
It all started with a lovely afternoon trip to the farm.  Stacey’s farm.
I wanted to unload some branches from my lawn on the brush pile and Beth’s kids wanted to see the horses.
So I in my grand plans wasn’t satisfied with this…
Just petting and feeding the horses….
Or this…
sitting on the horses.

It was lacking adventure and had zero danger.

P4110449.jpg
So, Jon-Jon, Lulu and I agreed to the dare.  Let’s all get on the horses at the same time.  After I got Jon-Jon and Lulu on their horses and just when I was trying to figure out how to get on the horse with Lulu without help this happened…
The horse took off flying with Jon-Jon on her back.  Do you see the dust flying under the hooves?  Moments later the horse I was holding broke free from my grasp and Lulu jumped to safety just after Jon-Jon dove into the ground off the horse in a full gallop.  This my friends is why you don’t do dares with Stacey and Rachael.  All I could do was laugh.  The boy was not hurt but it still wasn’t good that I laughed.  I am sorry Jon-Jon.
It still turned out to be a lovely day on the farm for most of us.  Especially this little nugget.
He loves Aunt Stacey and says her name the whole way to her house.
Helping with yard work earlier in the day.  Aunt Molly got him the cute shirt he is wearing when she was down here this past weekend. 
Playing in Daddy’s truck while I worked on the lawn.
Linking this story over here:

<Photobucket

I must not forget to mention this from a blog a follow:

An orphan's wishes are simple - love, family, home, acceptance, hope. They are the most basic needs of the human spirit that every child should be entitled to.

If you are reading here, you probably know about my involvement with New Horizons for Children and you know that this is a project that has become very near and dear to my heart.

If you are reading here, I'd like to think that we have something in common. That something I write strikes a chord with you. That maybe you are a kindred spirit.

I have this crazy idea.

Well, maybe it's not so crazy.

It's simple, really.

I have this idea that all of my friends and readers through this wonderful supportive community that we have in blogging, can all band together, and each of us do something small that adds up to something really amazing and BIG.

I'd like to create a scholarship for a child to be hosted. We'll call it the Simple Wishes Scholarship.

Here is the idea - my simple wish - that I have for this web-page: that everyone who visits here will give something. You don't have to give until it hurts. Just give SOMETHING - some small amount - even just $5 or $10. But together, those small amounts will add up to something BIG. Perhaps something life-changing for a real flesh and blood child. Maybe they will even find their forever family this summer. How cool would that be, to be part of their story?!

Follow THIS LINK to donate. I poured my heart out on this page. I won't repeat it all here, but take 5 minutes to read it, if you will.

All donations through this link are 100% tax deductible through NHFC. The money goes directly to them.

As the money comes in, I'll choose a child to scholarship - one of the children I met, who weighs heavy on my heart, but remains unchosen - in $250 increments. If we surpass that, I'll choose another child, or add to the same child's scholarship until that child is chosen. A full accounting of the total raised, and the children chosen for scholarship will be given here on my blog. I hope to be able to share more about their stories - even as they are still unwritten - as well.

I posted this same link and plea on my Facebook page late last night. Already, my wonderful friends have banded together to come up with $400 in donations! I am leaning towards choosing two sisters, ages 16 and 13 for the first $500 collected. It is really, really difficult to choose who to advocate for. I loved so many of these kids, and each one is a child of God! There is also a boy I am thinking about. He is 13, but the size of a 9 year old. So precious, and so in need of affection and nurturing.

If we surpass $1000 and are able to help all three of these kids, I'm going to throw back a promise to all of you. To show my gratitude, I hereby promise that once $1000 (counting the $400 already raised) is reached, I will post daily for 30 days. A little about Ukraine, a little about us - an honest attempt to get back to regular journaling. So, I am putting myself out there for sale. Will blog for your donations.

Please feel free to pass along the link to this page, or to the donation page, linked above. Go viral with it, and let's really do something big!!

"Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all - the apathy of human beings." ~Helen Keller

Thank you for caring about these kids and this ministry!!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Thank you for reposting!!