Thursday, June 16, 2011

Gluten Free, Oat Free, Milk Free No-Bake Cookies

It's been on my mind to experiment on a new kind of no-bake cookie (cookie made from cocoa powder, milk, butter, sugar, oats, peanut butter and vanilla).

I am attempting to create a casein free, gluten free cookie with a lower glycemic index.  So, today was my first shot.

I cut the recipe in half and used:

1/4 cup of rice milk
1/4 cup of butter (butter is very, very low if any casein, so it's usually okay for those allergic to dairy)
1 cup of coconut crystals
2 Tablespoons of baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Heat in medium saucepan over a medium heat

When it starts to boil add:
1/4 cup of peanut butter (or however much you want).  I used a no sugar Trader Joe's Organic Crunchy
Quinoa Flakes - I mix in until the mixture is very thick, not running but not too dry
I also added a handful of sesame seeds just for fun

After it's mixed together, form cookies on a plate or aluminum foil with a tablespoon.

Refrigerate to cool and harden.

Notes: 
Coconut Crystals do not taste like coconut and are great for diabetics and those on a low glycemic index.
Quinoa is a grain or seed highest in protein and is not a gluten. 

No comments: