Saturday, December 26, 2009

Our First Walk

Maggie and I had our first walk together at our new house.  It’s not as easy to walk here because the road winds and there are no sidewalks.  We walked up Beech Hill Preserve and it was stunning as always.  The red brush against the snow, with the snow falling all around us made me feel like I was Edna St Vincent Millay standing on Clarry Hill a long time ago (ha-ha Stacey).  I love that feeling and I only get it in Maine and England.  When we reached the top of the hill I was expecting no visibility, but there was a break in the storm down the center of the bay.  It was the coolest thing.  The storm clouds reached the water on either side – just how you would imagine dark storm clouds.  The water underneath them was different shades of deep blue grey, like someone’s eyes.  I wish I had my camera.  Down the center you could see out to the islands like there was no storm.  All around the back side there was snow softly falling.  Very beautiful.  Things like this always make me think of a God analogy.  If you look down the center, things are crystal clear – just like if you keep your eyes on God.  There could be a storm swirling all around you, but if you keep your eyes on God, things are much clearer.  Look away, and things become confusing.  You’re not exactly sure where the water and sky meet.  The snow on there other side is beautiful, but, again, it confuses the lines. 

Christmas was precious.  We stayed home the whole day.  I got up and began cooking.  My mom, grandparents and Molly’s family came over for brunch and presents.  My father, sisters and Hana came over for presents and food.  It was so much fun.  Then Rye came over to see my house and Henry. 

Henry was definitely into the packaging and the gifts this year.  He got so many great presents from his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.  Thank you everyone!  He is exhausted today.  His mother is extremely proud of him and just keeps staring at him thanking God for the best gift of all this Christmas! 

Lots of love,

Rachael 

No comments: