Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Baking Tips from a Novice

Every time I make something new/ bake something I want to take pictures and do a blog.  Wanting and doing are very far apart in my life these days.  Expectations in baking and outcomes in baking are also far apart these days.  A few things I wonder about baking:  how are bakers ever thin? and how many bad/ off recipes does a master baker have to make to come up with a new brilliant recipe?  I will tell you the answers if I ever get there.

So, my tips. 

More chocolate does not always equal better.  I tried to spruce up Ina Garten’s chocolate cupcake recipe by adding the last of my cocoa powder.  I mean there was only a small amount left and what’s the sense to put it back into the cupboard.  Not to mention, you can never go wrong with more chocolate.  Wrong.  I wouldn’t say it made them terrible or even not good, just not as good as the last time I made them.  I am not telling Dave.  I’ll let him believe they are wonderful unless he figures it out on his own.  Maybe my tip should be don’t mess with Ina – she knows what she is doing.

My next tip involves buttermilk.  My husband threw away my gourmet buttermilk in the fridge.  He thought it was old so he was trying to be helpful.  I didn’t notice until I was prepping for my cupcake baking spree.  Who knew milk + vinegar + lemon juice could = a substitute for buttermilk.  I Googled it and got that answer several times.  Still didn’t sound appetizing to me.  Turns out sour cream is another substitute.  Much better.  Let me tell you, (the recipe already called for some sour cream) that extra sour cream made the batter taste and look like an extra (ha-ha) chocolaty, luscious mousse.  That’s when I got all excited about my altered recipe.  The cupcakes are good – not as good as last time and certainly not as good as the batter.

Those are the tips from this novice baker – oh yeah – don’t forget salt.

No comments: