Monday, September 8, 2008

Perfect Late Summer Nights and an Overactive Imagination



I love walking through our sleepy little coastal village on late summer nights. I almost want to call them autumn evenings. Most of the tourist and summer people have left and our little town returns to the perfect picturesque seaside town that is all our own. I haven't been walking much lately. I was on a good roll of running just before my brother died. It takes a lot for me to to remain in those good habits during the summer because of the fast pace of our business, but this summer brought way more than I could handle. My dog has adjusted so much to our short walks that we've been taking lately, that when I tried to take her on our normal two mile walk she wasn't into it.

I was enjoying our just before dusk evening stroll over the bridge and looking down to the rocks that had been uncovered by the low tide. Maggie seemed to be enjoying it as well. We passed through the very small downtown, by the opera house and up towards the golf course. As we were about to turn down the road that cuts through the middle of the golf course, Maggie started jumping on me and trying to reverse direction. I pulled her along thinking why is she such a nut. Then, of course, my imagination started to work. Maybe she is saving me from some danger ahead. I crossed the road to turn down the street. When I looked down the deserted road, I saw a man standing half way down by himself in what had become the almost dark evening. He was definitely going to kill me and Maggie was trying to tell me. So we turned around and headed back in the same direction. We managed to enjoy the rest of our walk even after our near death experience.