Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Mountain Mover



"Don't focus on the mountain, focus on the Mountain Mover." That's from the book I'm reading - Grieving the Loss of a Loved One. I do two things when I'm not focused on the Mountain Mover. I either focus on the mountain or pretend the mountain isn't there. I go back and forth. It's kind of like when I was young and my bedroom was really messy. I would pretend the mountain of mess wasn't there until it was so big I couldn't avoid it. Then I would be so overwhelmed I wouldn't know where to start. I have been wanting to record the last time I spent with Vinny but most of the time the mountain of grief is too big for me to dwell on for more than a moment so I pretend the mountain isn't there. Then there are times like today when I took a side trip home and drove by the blueberry fields my grandfather used to own. Oh how I wanted to rewind time and be on those fields with Vinny again (even though we probably would have been fighting at that age). The mountain is unavoidable at times like those. We all face mountains and praise God for the mountains because with out them there would be no need to focus on the Mountain Mover. I focus on the Mountain Mover by going to Church and hearing the Word of God, reading the Bible and reading faith based books. God uses these things to show me His hand in my life.


Here are a few poems my pastor from Baltimore used to quote... He also went home to be with the Lord just a month before Vinny.

The Bible by William Leggett (verses I & II)

This Book I'd rather own,
Then all the golden gems
That e'er in a monarch's coffer shone-
Than all their diadems.

Nay, were the seas one chrysolite,
The earth a golden ball,
And diamonds all the stars of night,
This Book were worth them all.



“Others”
By C.D. Meigs

Lord help me live from day to day
In such a self-forgetful way
That even when I kneel to pray
My prayer shall be for – Others.

Help me in all the work I do
To ever be sincere and true
And know that all I do for you
Must needs be done for – Others.

Let “Self” be crucified and slain
And buried deep; and all in vain
May efforts be to rise again
Unless to live for – Others.

And when my work on earth is done
And my new work in heaven’s begun
May I forget the crown I’ve won
While thinking still of – Others.

Others, Lord, yes others
Let this my motto be
Help me to live for others
That I may live like Thee.

1 comment:

Jedi & fam - once upon a time lol - not anymore said...

This one was so needed today -
the mountain mover, reflections, and others...