Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Past and Present in Peasetown

We went to Peasetown after church and lunch today. Something this morning I didn't think I'd have the strength to do. The thought of spreading Vinny's ashes was very intense and brought the grief back full force. I was on the verge of tears before church and crying by the time church began. The service was excellent. David did an introduction about God's power in your life. Pastor Sheff preached a message on Enoch walking with God and then was not Gen 5. John 3:30? If He is to increase in my life - I must decrease. Imagine the power we would have - God's power - if we purposed to be in His Presence moment by moment. It was a very uplifting and convicting message at the same time. Just what I needed. It gave me the strength to be strong for my mother and brother Zac today and put my own feelings aside. We went out to lunch at a Union diner and I ate way too much. Then we headed up into the deep woods of Peasetown. It was sad but also very peaceful and very intriguing. It's amazing to think there was a thriving little village that is now a thick forest with the only remnants being old cellars. We spread or I should say my grandfather and Zac spread the ashes near the old cellar of my grandfather's great-grandfather's house and also in a beautiful brook. I want to take some rocks from that old foundation and build something in a house of mine someday. There is a meadow near by that the last time it was mowed was just before my grandfather left for the army. It used to be a much larger meadow but still beautiful today. We prayed and thanked God that Vinny is with Him. It's such a gift from God when we have full assurance about where somebody is. Zac and I rode with my grandparents and on our way back my grandfather said "I have a gun I gave Vinny but I'll give it to you Zac." He said he told Vinny he couldn't have it until he was settled. I said, "Well, he's really settled now." And Zac said, "Yah, he's much happier."

2 comments:

Ellis Journal said...

Hey Rachael! I just saw your blogspot link on one of the emails you sent me. (I figured it was about time to clean out my emails after reaching about 372!) i really like your blog and your pics are beautiful. i started one a while back, but never have (make) the time to write.

it must have unbelievably hard to put Vinny's last remains to rest at the Peasetown property. I can't even imagine how difficult it must have been for you. It's really strange with my mom's grave - I hardly visit because I really know she's not there but in heaven and I feel much closer to her at every moment I think of her rather than at her grave.

I think Vinny would have really loved knowing you guys were so thoughtful and loving to spread his ashes in such a meaningful way. Family is so precious aren't they?

I want to talk to you soon k? I'm praying it doesn't snow till Christmas Eve...you too?! :)

love Rachelle

Rachael said...

Thanks Rachelle. Love you too. I totally agree. It's such a weird concept to know that someone is not here but yet to have their remains. I think that's why Christians bury the dead because even though they know the spirit is in heaven - they still respect the body. It's a lot to process when you're grieving.