Saturday, October 4, 2008

Crisp Cool October Morning

The weather is so nice. I used to dread fall in Maine because it meant winter is coming. Running a largely seasonal business has changed everything... or maybe my tastes are changing too. The last couple of years I've been ready for fall and winter even if that means a Maine winter. Now ask me again the end of March and I'll be ready to move out of town. By this time of year in our business we are ready for things to start quieting down. It's unfortunate that so many mid coasters live here but don't get to enjoy the beautiful Maine summers (fortunate when we make money though). But ever so sweet when the rainy windy days of fall turn into blue skies and crisp air. It's wonderful.

Last night I went to a potluck for the Pen Bay Christian School parents at my aunt's house - no, I'm not a parent but know some of the people. It was a lot of fun. Today we are working through the mounds of laundry that have built up over the last few days which have been very busy. Dave is leaving early to help our church put a roof on a single woman's house. Hopefully I'll finish cleaning my house later- although there is so much more incentive to do a perfect job when a potential buyer is coming. That's something we are praying for along with the upcoming elections. We are really praying for our house to sell considering the changes we will encounter late winter. Sunday my mom, brother, grandparents and I are supposed to spread the rest of Vinny's ashes. Most were buried. My mom and grandfather want to spread them up in Peasetown - the area of Hope & Appleton, Maine where my family settled basically right after the Mayflower. That's where we raked blueberries for years and where Vinny went hunting. My grandfather sold the property a few years ago and Vinny always said he was going to buy Peasetown back because it meant so much to him. I think it's great to spread his ashes there - I'm just not sure I want to go and do it. We'll see.

I was supposed to go jogging yesterday but it started raining AGAIN. Today seems much more promising - I should be doing it right now but I'm still lying in bed enjoying the comfort before it's full speed ahead at the "mat" in another hour. Dave is already there working away.

No comments: