Sunday, November 13, 2011

Girls’ Night

Sarah's Key Poster

I definitely needed a night out with some girls.  My best friend Beth and I had an impromptu planning of a girls’ night when she realized the book a group of us read over the summer/fall was in the cheap movie theater.  Beth’s youngest was overnight with a friend, so it was our chance to get out for a little while.  We were planning on having a bite at a near by bistro but couldn’t get reservations.  So, we invited a couple of other people and our friend Teresa was able to make it too.  Not the lightest content for a foot loose evening but that’s how we roll.  Thanks to my wonderful husband who stayed home with the child and dog.

I loved the movie (not quite as much as the book).  It was as true to the storyline as you could expect.  They did an excellent job and there was some killer acting in this fictional story based on real events that took place in Paris during the deportation of Jews.  I don’t know how a person with children could watch this movie without having some gut wrenching emotion going on. 

My friend Beth had some teenagers in tow which none happened to be hers.  That woman is the picture of grace.  Always busy with work, buying a house, raising three kids, a husband, helping her extended family and never too busy to drag along some kids she’s helping or loves.  She is amazing.  Always a smile on her face. 

Speaking of teenagers, Beth’s daughter Mika is an incredible girl.  A bunch of kids wanted to hang out at Beth’s house after the teen study at church.  Beth didn’t want them watching a movie together without an adult if there were too many kids for obvious reasons (boys & girls).  So, Mika being the great kid that she is agreed with her mom and told her own concerns about the situation.  I just can’t believe what a great kid she is.

So, I guess God is pricking my heart for teenagers tonight because at the movies before the movie in the lobby while waiting for my ever late friends, it seemed like I was a teenager magnet.  Most people who know me know I love to interview or ask strangers questions if I am curious with no shame attached.  Well, I was listening to the this group of three teenager boys.  One was complaining because his mother was late.  The friend told him he shouldn’t be complaining but should be appreciative that he had a mother that would pick them up.  I was the cheerleader sitting on the bench by them.  Then I noticed they were all wearing some oversized plastic glasses.  I asked the one nearest me why they were wearing them.  He told me there was a 3-d movie playing at the cheap theater?!?  Then he told me he thought it was about a dolphin.  So I said to him that he and his friends don’t actually watch the movies.  And told me with an of-course-not attitude they came to the movies to hang out with their friends that work there.  I got quite a charge out of it.  Especially since I heard one of them say he had been there since before the theater had opened and it was 9:45 at night!

Then eaves dropping on the girls sitting across the hall from me I overheard one teenage girl say to the other that she had only been to that particular theater during the day and it was never as ghetto as it was that night.  These kids were killing me.  I could have sat there all night and listened to them.

No comments: