Saturday, December 20, 2008

Vinny the Tenderhearted Helper

Vinny was a very generous person and a great helper to many people.

When he was under 5 my family was spreading hay on the blueberry fields. My grandmother realized there were snakes in the bails of hay. After that, Vinny unloaded the truck by himself.

He spread hay over the entire blueberry fields by himself for many years. I used to wonder how he dared to do it alone on acres and acres of land with no one in sight at age 10.

Vinny was always the one who got roped in to some really bad project by my grandparents. Like cleaning out behind their barn ~ something no one in the family wanted to do.

When Vinny moved to Maryland a year after I did, he brought with him a very old pick up truck. I think he moved everyone in the church for as long as it ran. I almost think he got rid of it because he was sick of helping people move.

Vinny drove an hour and a half one way to pick me up at Dulles airport more than once. One time I had the most embarrassing experience and wanted to get out of there fast. I was so glad to see Vinny's face because I knew he would click in and help me out.

I can't count the times Vinny cheffed up some gourmet meal. When we were in Baltimore together, he did it wherever we were. He didn't care how much it cost him, he was happy to cook, eat and share it with others. He also got the half off deal when he was a server at Carrabba's. I also can't count the number of times he took me out to dinner there and at Outback Steakhouse (sister company).

When I was single and living in Baltimore, it was difficult to move and find people to help me move. I remember Zac helped me move from the Canino's to Roland Park in my little VW Golf. Vinny helped me move when I bought my first house. He risked getting eaten alive by Amy's pitbull.

We have this friend who is slightly challenged who we like to tease a lot. I have many, many Vinny and Rachael stories with this woman. Well, this woman really loved Vinny a lot. She is not the easiest person to deal with and can be very demanding. A few years ago she had a foot problem. She called Vinny to take her to the grocery store. Vinny had to lug her down a flight of stairs. Once they got to the grocery store, Vinny had to push the cart with one hand and her in a wheelchair with the other. I laughed so hard when I heard this story. There are very few men who have this kind of heart.

Some friends of ours were graduating from Bible College. Vinny offered to do the food. He stayed up all night prepping for kabobs. Over 400 people showed up for the party and Vinny worked his butt off to say the least. People finally left when the well went dry at our house.

Vinny had a heart for the families in the countries where he worked. He found ways to give money to children and was supporting 5 families when he went home to be with the Lord. He was very passionate about sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with all of these people.

A friend of our family supports and orphanage in Africa. She needed a large unspoken amount of money to finish her Christmas promise. She prayed God would touch someones heart. Without knowing the amount, Vinny sent a check for the exact amount that was needed.

No comments: