Thursday, December 18, 2008

Vinny the Excellent Driver (ha-ha)



If Vinny were reading this post, I know what he would say. "Rachael, yoooooou're the one who totalled your car in high school, so I am the better driver." Well, he is correct. I did total my car in high school but I'm STILL the better driver.

Vinny driving memories:

I remember sitting on the side of 131 in South Thomaston for what seemed like HOURS while Molly TRIED to teach Vinny how to dry a stick shift. It was not a successful venture.

When Vinny got his license he worked out some deal with our grandfather Pease. Vinny worked for him and my grandfather helped him buy this antique Mercedes Vinny really wanted as his first car. My mother drove us all over to my grandparents to pick up the car. It was the middle of the winter, because I remember lots of snow and ice everywhere. Well, Zac and I rode back to our house with Vinny. As we were approaching a sharp corner on Wottons Mill Road, I told Vinny not to hit the brakes in snow and ice. Older brothers don't take advice from younger sisters - especially those without their license. "Shut up, Rachael, you don't know what you're talking about." He did hit his brakes around the corner and we did start to head for the trees. Zac and I saw our lives flash before us. He managed to get the car corrected without too much trouble and we managed to keep our mouths shut in fear of an older brother's wrath.

Next car (which was probably the next month because Vinny went through cars like most people go through I don't know what). Vinny and I were headed to Rockland in Larry's (stepfather) old Toyota Corolla (Vinny's new car). It was still winter and Vinny still was hitting his brakes. We slid off the road. We tried and tried to push the car out of the ditch. It wasn't very promising because I didn't have my license, therefore, I was the one pushing. We kept looking for things that would help us get traction. There wasn't much around. Finally Vinny looked at me and said, "give me your coat." What??!! He wanted to use it for traction. Of course, Vinny wasn't wearing a coat. Fortunately a state trooper stopped and helped us.

Fast forward a few years. Vinny was living in Germany. I was home for the summer after my Sophomore year in college. I was working three jobs - one of them a 4pm - 3am shift at MBNA. Vinny was supposed to be taking a lovely vacation in Europe with his girlfriend. Well, she broke his heart in the middle of the trip. I guess he decided to come home then. I got a phone call from him. "Rachael, come pick me up."
I felt bad for him. "Where are you going to be?" "Maryland." "Vinny, I love how you're asking me to pick you up like you're in Rockland or something." At that time I had only been to Maryland twice and only driven there once. Zac, Adam (my boyfriend at the time) and I loaded up my mom's car and drove to Maryland after I got out of all of my jobs for the day. We arrived at Stacey's house sometime in the early morning - maybe 4 or 5. The deal was we were going to sleep and then drive back. We had been there for maybe 2 hours and hadn't gone to sleep yet when Vinny came to me and told me he was ready to go. What? I told him I was too tired to drive and he promised he was going drive home (my mom's stick shift). We loaded back into the car and started heading towards Maine. We stopped a few miles down the road at McDonalds to eat some breakfast. That's when Zac and Adam pulled me aside and said if Vinny kept driving we were all going to die. That I had to drive but they didn't dare to tell Vinny. I broke the news to Vinny and he was okay with it. I told him I hadn't slept in close to 48 hours and he promised to keep me company in the front seat. Within 5 minutes of hitting the highway, Vinny was snoring beside me. I managed to make it to CT without falling asleep and killing everyone. When I stopped at the rest area, I told everyone I wasn't driving. I didn't care if Vinny crashed the car, I couldn't cope anymore. Vinny took over and I fell asleep. 20- 30 minutes later Vinny was getting pulled over for driving to endanger. I had to drive again.

When we went to Vinny's memorial service in Virginia, we heard from his fellow employees how scary he was in foreign countries. I guess he would drive down the side walks and open his door while driving screaming at no one. I am sure he fit in.

If he had to go to a different part of the country while he was over there, he wouldn't ride in a convoy. He would get an old car and put on an old hat and drive alone. Very smart and very brave man.

I did ride with him a week before he died in his red pick up truck. Now, it's one of my favorite memories.

No comments: