Monday, December 15, 2008

Vinny Couldn't Dance

It's early in the morning and I've been up for hours ~ now my head is swarming with Vinny stories. I think I'll try to tell many this month as it is his birthday month.

I remember one of the first times I had the "I don't know how he pulls this off" revelation about Vinny. It was the beginning of my realization of his gift with people, I just didn't know that's what it was then. We were at our uncle Vick's wedding. I think Vinny just turned 6 and I was 4 almost 5. We were at the Elk's Lodge in Rockland. I don't remember much about it, just a few vivid memories. Vinny and I sat at the table and when we realized that tapping the glass with your silverware meant the bride and groom kiss, we were very entertained to say the least. I think Vinny had an off white suit on - not that it really matters - that's just my memory. We decided to go dance. Most people who knew me at that age, knew I was very shy around people I didn't know. The last thing I wanted was to draw attention to myself. Well, Vinny felt the opposite about himself. It was the first thing he wanted. It must have been a fast song because Vinny began his dance. We were little so I didn't really care what he was doing until all eyes were on us. Vinny was stomping and kicking around the floor, kind of a stiff legged white person's very bad version of Michael Jackson's moves. I felt the world pressing in on me because I disliked being watched. I was very embarrassed. Then to my amazement, everyone was enthralled by Vinny's dancing. I remember having the thoughts "you have got to be kidding me". "He's not dancing". Vinny was a crowd pleaser and kept on moving. It was my first revelation (that I remember) of wondering how he pulled those things off.

No comments: