Thursday, July 24, 2008

Okay - so I'm a Fan of the Golden Arches

So sue me. No really I was thinking of McDonalds today. I know the food is really, really bad for you. The beef is made from cows lips and the french fries are pure food starch. Yes, I know all that, but there is something very comforting to me about McDonalds. I don't eat there very often, don't get me wrong. There are just days when a big mac or a cheeseburger is comfort food to me. I loved the native food when I was in Ukraine and I didn't eat at McDonalds everyday, but occasionally it was very consoling to my American body to bite into really familiar food. By the way, apparently it's not as bad as some food. The Big Mac only has 550 calories and some appetizers at Friday's have 1500. I read that in an article because NYC is requiring restaurants to post the calories in dishes - let me tell you, McDonald's is looking like health food. By the way, I also like the McDonald's story. I think it's great someone had and idea and became very successful. And I absolutely don't think they're responsible for making America fat. That's right up there with the dumbest thing I ever heard. Okay, so hear me clear - I AM NOT AN ADVOCATE FOR EATING THERE. Once in huge while it isn't going to kill you. It's just on my list of things I find comforting like a cup of hot chocolate, driving over the Maine bridge when you live out of state, reading a great book, looking at the rocky Maine coast from a boat, wearing pajamas all day, a foggy day when your tired. I said all of that to say this. The other night I really wanted to eat a blizzard from Dairy Queen ( I don't eat those very often either). Dave and I drove over there - he's been very nice about doing what I want lately. I got my ice cream and ate a few bites. I said, "Dave, you know, I don't think I want this. What I really want is a McDonald's cheeseburger". When we were driving through the drive-thru, I told Dave I thought Vinny's spirit was taking over my body (joking). He said, "No, if Vinny's spirit were taking over your body you wouldn't be eating one cheeseburger, you'd be eating five extra value meals". Very true. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not turning to food to comfort me. God comforts me and people comfort me. It's just comforting to go places and do things that my brother did. I just know I could never eat like he did. So I thank God for McDonalds. We had a lot of fun and funny experiences there.

1 comment:

Jedi & fam - once upon a time lol - not anymore said...

i don't know why but this post brought tears to my eyes. i just loved the reality of people's impact in our lives and not denying it. And sibblings are just the best. i hope i treat mine as if today was the last day.
glad i found out abt your blog, kindof by chance. sarah t