Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Little Brother



Happy Birthday to my little brother Zac-criah Miguel Aiken otherwise known as Zacchary Michael Aiken. He's 27 today. May God bless him and guide him through this valley in his life.

It's very bittersweet that life goes on when someone so special isn't physically part of your life. Actually, it's not sweet at all; it's just pretty bitter - but God knows.

Speaking of God knowing. I started reading 90 Minutes in Heaven. The author speaks about his time in heaven when he physically died on earth for an hour and a half. He was received in heaven by so many people he knew on earth. He said he had never been filled with so much joy and life. He said, at the time, he didn't think about anything or anyone he had left back on earth. He was just so overcome with happiness to be where he was. He made it to the gates and saw into heaven - the streets paved with gold. His live on earth was miraculously given back to him before he made it through the gates or saw God. He spoke of the music - you'd have to read the book. All the music was praising Jesus. There wasn't any sad music about Him dying on the cross - just music glorifying Him as King of Kings. When I read this description it relieved me. I know when you get to heaven there is no sadness. I just miss Vinny so much, I can't imagine him not missing me and others. I don't want him to have any regrets. But like my pastor said to me on the phone today - the issues of life and death are not ours - they are God's. We don't choose for ourselves and we don't choose for others. God knows.

The other thing I was thinking since reading the book is who met Vinny when he entered heaven. 2 Cor 5:8 We are confident, [I say], and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. Did Jesus greet Vinny first like when He stood to meet Stephen? Who else was there? Maybe - my grandmother's brother Uncle Bud. He loved the Lord with all of his heart and also had many struggles. He died fairly young. He loved us. My great-grandfather Nate? He became a Christian late in life. He used to take his glass eye out and let us look at it. Maybe Jimmy Carver. He was great friends with my grandparents and went to church with them. He owned a cow farm. Vinny and I were grossed out by his milk whenever he brought it to church suppers because we thought it had bag balm in it. Could it be Pastor Stevens? Vinny loved his preaching when we lived in Baltimore together. He had a controversial life and end of life, but I remember Vinny saying of all of the people who wanted to drag up any possible personal sin he might have had - wow, that's totally evil. I would never want a list of my sins posted in front of everybody. Could it be Josh Sliva? I am pretty sure he was in Bible College when Vinny was. He died very young. Could it be Ed the American- Bulgarian scientist that lived with us when we were kids after he had several strokes. Ed was brilliant. He spoke seven languages before his strokes and worked with Albert Einstein. He could only say yes and no but could sing church hymns. He also totally sicked us out at the dinner table. I wondering if they are laughing about that in heaven. It all just makes me wonder.

No comments: