Monday, November 8, 2010

Heaven & Random Thoughts

Today I was thinking about heaven – how the earth is a fallen picture of the life to come.  There is so much beauty on this earth, but the physical beauty of heaven will be infinitely greater.  In the book Heaven the author talks about sandy beaches for some and snowy mountain peaks for others.  I like those things too – waterfalls, rocky shorelines.  I also hope there is fog and the smell of rain on warm pavement.  And granite countertops with really nice appliances.  Ha-ha.  Funny, I know.  I wouldn’t call myself materialistic.  Well, probably I am when compared to the poverty some live in.  I fall in love with houses – trim, doors, hardware, countertops, and floors.  There will be houses in heaven, so my hope isn’t far off. 

This brought me to another random thought.  When watching HBO’s John Adams I realized how much I love old New England architecture.  Man, they really knew how to build houses back then.  They were so beautiful.  Thank God we still have so many around today.  I actually think New England architecture is my favorite in all of the world.  So beautiful.  Why do we build such cheap houses now?  Probably the same reason why we eat crappy food.  The cost.  There is a large cost for such fine craftsmanship.   Just think of the craftsmanship of the human soul, a human body.  So complicated yet unified.  Amazing.

No comments: