Thursday, November 4, 2010

Full Time

Well, I used to wonder what mothers who stayed at home did all day or how mothers work a full-time job and take care of children.  In the words of my friend Patricia, “Mothers go to work to get a break.”  I am starting to see her wisdom.  While I want what is best for my child and love him beyond measure, here’s what we’ve been working with the past two days:

Times captured running across the kitchen table (yes, almost to his broken bone or something worse) – at least 10

Times I have fished my sun glasses, packaged food, toy and other things out of the dog water bowl – 25

Times I have stopped the running microwave with nothing in it – at least 10

Mega Blocks pulled from the toilet – 2 (it would have been 4 but I caught him mid-stream)

Attempted naps - 4

Naps taken – 1

Stages in his haircut while screaming bloody murder – 3 (once after dinner in his high chair, once in the bathtub, once this morning on the couch)

Pieces of furniture moved across the room or to a new room – too many to count.

Cans of Maggie’s dog food moved to different hiding places (under his play car seat, behind the couch etc) – 6

Valuable items recovered from the kitchen trash can – a few

Number of items thrown between our bed and my night stand – again, too many to count.

Number of times he has set off the truck alarm with the keys – 1

Number of times he has locked his bedroom door – 1 (remember this is the last two days only).

No, I wasn’t eating bon-bons in the next room.  Maybe making coffee, doing dishes, and in the case of the toilet, getting a bath ready.  This kid is a fast mover.  Keeps me on my toes.  No slacking off on this job.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Boy can I relate!! I just said to Matt last night that I am looking forward to the days when I do not have to HIDE things from my kids. (While I type this Otis is pulling things form the pantry)!!!