Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pray for Little Man

Henry came down with what I thought was a cold towards the end of our stay in PA/MD.  I wasn’t surprised as he never wanted to miss a beat – ran around at convention and didn’t ever sleep in the car.  Yesterday he started wheezing.   Today his breathing was a little more labored and by mid afternoon he was very lethargic and had little appetite.  I called the doctors’ office out of precaution.  They asked me to bring him in.  We got there just before 4 (it’s 45 minutes away).  His oxygen levels were too low and he definitely has something going on in his lungs.  They doctor on duty and the physician’s assistant tried to decide whether to admit him to the hospital or try an overnight treatment and check him in the morning.  That definitely threw me for a loop.  I had no idea.  Thought he had a little cold.  They gave him a breathing treatment there to increase his oxygen.  It was like night and day for the poor little guy.  He perked up immediately.  The doctor prescribed a breathing treatment and antibiotic.  They are guessing he has a virus.  We got the machine and headed to the pharmacy.  We found out after we waited that they didn’t have the prescription for the breathing machine.  I asked them to call every pharmacy in the area because that was the one he needed the most.  I was prepared to camp out at the hospital if we didn’t get it.  They had told me at the doctors’ office  if he had trouble breathing or turned blue to take him to the emergency room tonight.   Okay.  Yah.  Definitely.  I wasn’t going a night without the treatment.  I paged the doctor who was also concerned and she phoned in a higher dose so it would be available (Henry was given the child’s dose which was the problem).  So, more than an hour at the pharmacy and we headed home.  Poor little guy did have an appetite tonight.  Praise God.  I gave him another breathing treatment and just put him to bed.   Very thankful we went to the doctor today.

No comments: