Friday, June 4, 2010

In the World of Henry

Henry has changed so much over the last month.  I don’t know where to begin with an update other than I thank God for him minutely.  He is so precious (even when he’s naughty).

He is a picky eater.  When I feed him something and put it directly in his mouth, he spits it out, looks at it and then decides if he’ll eat it.  He might eat something one day and the next not feel like eating it.  I think he’s like Dave that way.  The funny thing is I was very sick yesterday (that’s not funny) and Henry spent the day with my aunt, his great aunt (she is funny but that’s not the funny thing).  When he was with her, he ate like he hadn’t eaten his whole life.  He ate a rounded over bowl of homemade mac & cheese, an entire banana (he won’t eat a bite of banana for me), chocolate milk like it was going out of style (he’s my child so I’ve never given him this – I knew he’d be crazy over it) AND he ate dinner.  He never eats like this for me.  I am so glad he had fun at his Aunt Molly’s.  It was his first time ever being away from me for an entire day.

He’s very opinionated.  I’m sure that’s a big shocker for those of you who know me, know my family or know Dave.  Sam was feeding him chocolate milk yesterday and Henry was grunting at him in a meanish fashion as if Sam weren’t doing the job quickly enough.  Henry has all of the sudden developed opinions/ fears of certain things.  He does not like horses or any large animal (moose!).  He is fascinated with trees and birds, but holds a healthy respect for trees and their size.  He used to love baths but now runs away as fast as possible like I’m about to throw him into fire when I go to put him in the tub.  He despises getting his hair washed.  He used to like showers and does the same run away maneuver when I try to put him in.   He likes to nurse and have the Bible read to him just before bed.  He hates going to bed – for nap or for night.  He likes the outdoors but never strays too far from his mother.  In fact, he doesn’t stray too far from me anywhere.  He doesn’t like the grocery cart for very long but is learning to deal with it.  I am learning to set standards – it’s very easy for me to give in when he doesn’t like something.  He loves other kids.  I go to a Bible Study at a local church other than the one we attend.  He gets sad when I leave him but the girls watching him love him and he loves them and the other children.  I took him to the park today and he had more fun watching the kids than actually playing. 

Some other things Henry loves.  Henry loves Maggie his dog.  Henry loves going on walks in a backpack.  He loves books.  He loves black olives and chocolate.  He gets very angry if I don’t share chocolate with him.  He loves, loves, loves his daddy.  He just recently has started crying when daddy leaves for the day.  He is so happy when daddy comes home.  He used to only have eyes for mommy.  Thankfully and sadly that is changing.  Henry loves electronics, any little thing on the ground, boxes, and anything rough and tumble.  He loves having an audience and expects all strangers to make of him when they walk by.  He loves to play shy when someone actually does make of him.

New things Henry is doing - 

Henry is walking.  He is climbing (he’s been climbing for a while).  His aunt Molly was shocked he could get through every barrier she put up.  He’s a very busy body and gets into EVERYTHING.  My mom always says she can ONLY watch him when she’s watching him.  Very curious and he doesn’t miss anything.  He says – no, bird, dog, ba (not sure if he’s saying that for bird), maggie (sometimes), mama, dada, and he may have said other words as well and will definitely repeat new words.  Molly said he was saying bus yesterday.  He points all of the time.  He has been playing peek a boo for several months and still loves it.  He has always mumbled singing.  He’s getting naughtier by the day.  He is a very sweet boy, though.  He loves to hug, to kiss and to cuddle.  When he ends up in our bed at night, he reaches over to touch me to make sure I am there.  He melts our hearts all of the time.  He loves to make faces to make us laugh.  He generally loves to be the center of attention.  He’s a good boy.

No comments: