Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Give Thanks

I have always loved this song.  My favorite memory of it – not just since Vinny went to heaven – but before is when Vinny returned home from Germany the summer of ‘98.  I was home from my first year in Maryland.  I went there to MBC&S the previous summer begrudgingly.  Not towards any person because it was a decision I made solely on my own and didn’t tell many people before I packed up my car, left college and drove down highway 95 all by myself.  My life had changed so much in a year.  My heart had been healed deeply (not completely) through my growing relationship with God.  So Vinny arrived home after getting out of the service.  He wasn’t sure what he wanted to do.  We had always fought growing up – I mean ALWAYS.  He had been away in the service for 4 years and absence really did make our hearts grow fonder.  We realized how deep our bond was.   In ‘97 my decision to leave everything (seemed like a lot then) and move to Maryland was sealed the night of a sermon preached by the visiting founder of MBC&S.  No one asked me to make that decision that night.  I just knew that was what God wanted me to do.  I have to say I had many conversations with God about it.  I did it but I wasn’t happy and I wasn’t planning on staying in Maryland for long.  It’s amazing what a year’s time will do.  Vinny went to the same event the next year.  I can say before God I never told him what to do.  I remember we drove to Portland together.  I remember singing Give Thanks.  Vinny moved to Maryland within a month.  The times we had together there with our friends are some of the best memories of my life and memories with Vinny.  Zac lived down there a few times as well.  The time we had as adults is a blessing not many siblings get.  I am giving thanks with a grateful heart.

GIVE THANKS
WITH A GRATEFUL HEART
GIVE THANKS
TO THE HOLY ONE
GIVE THANKS
FOR HE'S GIVEN
JESUS CHRIST, HIS SON
(X2)
AND NOW LET THE WEAK SAY
I AM STRONG
LET THE POOR SAY
I AM RICH
BECAUSE OF WHAT
THE LORD HAS DONE
FOR US (me)
(X2)
GIVE THANKS...

No comments: