Sunday, December 16, 2012

Gluten-free Christmas Cookie Decorating

DSC_0161

Our first gluten-free Christmas cookie baking and decorating event was successful.  I wasn’t sure how they would turn out while baking and how they would taste.  I refrigerated the dough overnight and they were a little difficult to roll but came out perfectly and tasting delicious.  We topped them off with home-made buttercream frosting and sprinkles.  We still have half the dough left and we ate half the cookies we made Winking smile.

DSC_0160DSC_0166DSC_0167DSC_0168DSC_0169DSC_0170DSC_0171DSC_0172DSC_0173DSC_0176DSC_0179DSC_0180DSC_0182DSC_0183DSC_0184DSC_0185DSC_0190

I used the recipe from here.  I can’t say that I was precise at measuring as the author.  And I did change the flours.

INGREDIENTS


2¼ cups white rice flour, plus more for rolling (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free baking mix)
½ cup cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. cream of tartar
½ tsp. salt
½ cup butter, softened, plus more for greasing
½ cup shortening
½ cup sugar
½ cup confectioners sugar
2 eggs
½ tsp. vanilla
Decorating sugar (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS


1. Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt; Set aside. Beat butter and shortening to combine; cream  sugar and butter mixture together, then beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until just until combined. Shape dough into two balls, flatten slightly into discs and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill dough at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.

Preheat oven to 375.  I think mine were a little thick because they were hard to roll out.  I cooked mine for approximately 10 minutes – just until they looked done.

 

Frosting:  I add room temperature butter, vanilla and confectioners sugar – in Kitchen Aid mixer – creamed.  I just do it to taste.  I don’t have set measurements.  

No comments: