Friday, August 8, 2008

Obey & Trust

We learned this song when we were young - either in Sunday School or Vacation Bible School - I can't remember.

Trust and obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey.

I heard this great message on Wednesday night from Pastor Schaller in Baltimore. It was about living life and Christianity on the surface which we all tend to gravitate to. Concerned about understanding things and controlling things, but God calls us to something deeper. He can cut through the surface and go deep into our souls. I have to say while I was in Virginia and since I got back yesterday afternoon, I have spent my time on the surface - mostly because it was so emotional. But I do long for God to bring me back to the deep or to cut through the surface and go deep into my soul. And He's the only One who can do that. He made a way to do that by dying and His grave is empty.

Most Christians whether they are true followers of Christ and have a personal relationship with Him believe God is Holy and to be worshipped. Even true believers forget that God is also personal and we can trust Him. This is where taking the focus off yourself and losing control come in. Today I got a phone call from a friend and I was getting an update on her situation. Sometimes when you hear someone else's problems it's easier to process, and those truths that God reveals can be applied to your own life. It's so great to take the focus off yourself and not be a "surface victim". Put your eyes on Christ and help others. Well, through this conversation I remember what Charles Stanley said in a message I listened to early on Sunday morning. Obey God and trust Him for the Consequences. You see, I might reverse the words in the song I mentioned. Obey and Trust. If we obey and then try to control how we obey or how our obedience affects others, we are still living on the surface. If God tells us something or leads us to do something, we are not responsible for it. We are trusting Him in it. Why obey if we don't think our God is big enough for the situation or for others in the situation? It's so easy to only want to give God part of us, we all do it. But if we do this, it's not obedience at all. We may be fooling ourselves but not God. Obey and then trust God for the consequences.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen and Amen!!!
You are awesome Rachael.
So incredibly wise and intelligent.

You have been in the "Refiners fire" and you are coming out pure gold, girl.

Our Lord has His hand on you and you are mighty in His spirit.

No Goliath will ever be able to take you down. Your wisdom and words are like the smooth stones David used.

You are a special diamond to God. One he is cutting and polishing, cutting and polishing.

You see, He is going to put you on His crown. You will be the centerpiece on His crown.

But in order to do that-he must shape you and form you so that you shine and reflect Heaven's light. As an earthly diamond reflects the sun's light...you will be reflecting the SON'S light from Heaven.

Keep on, keeping on, girl. You were born for such a time as this.

Vinny can see you from Heaven. He loves you and he is so proud of his baby sister. Vinny wants you to use this to become a mighty warrior of God. Don't let this destroy you-stand strong and become stronger from it.

copycat said...

Hi Rachael,
I happened to stumble onto your blog by 'accident'.
Thank you for your posting on Obey & Trust. Thankyou for sharing it. Tired of being on the surface and wanting more, is exactly where I am at the moment. I will come and visit again.
Regards