Monday, May 17, 2010

Overwhelming Sense

Are you ever overwhelmed with the purpose of life or the lack of it?  I remember being overwhelmed with the lack of purpose in life my freshman year in college.  Was life really about studying all those years to get a job, to buy a house and to live for the weekends?  Really?  Depression.  That’s where the reality of the mainstream purpose of life left me.  It was a good place.  Right where God wanted me.  Sometimes I need God to put me back in that place.  I like that place.  Men’s (and women’s) souls have so much more value than the new barbeque, boat or fancy landscaping we can afford (nothing wrong with those things).  Can we afford to look away from the value of a soul?  I have acted like I can.  I don’t know how anyone can live without the loving, caring, giving, comforting hand of God in her life.  I just don’t.  I don’t know how they can make it when you get a phone call that tears you to the marrow in your bones or when you celebrate something as magnificent as the birth of a child.  Really.  Without God.  Trust me, I have spent many hours, days and months away from God (and unfortunately still do at times), but I know that I know He has never spent a millisecond away from me.  That is why I overflow and want to share it with everyone I know.  And, when God speaks to me, I really want to share it with those I don’t.  Life is too short, too hard, and too good to live it apart from our Creator.  Eternity will be too long and definitely too hard if we don’t get to know Him now.  Reading Revelation can really put an urgency in one’s heart.  I read part of it tonight.  It brings me back to the basics.  What really is the purpose of life.  To worship Him.  Thank You, Jesus.

No comments: