Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Normal Christian Life

By Watchman Nee

We sometimes think that if only we had not done certain things all would be well; but the trouble lies far deeper than in what we do: it lies in what we are… It is a birth that counts.  I am a sinner because I am born in Adam.  It is a matter not of my behavior but of my heredity, my parentage.  I am not a sinner because I sin, but I sin because I come of the wrong stock.  I sin because I am a sinner.

We are apt to think that what we have done is very bad, but that we ourselves are not so bad.  God is taking pains to show us that we ourselves are wrong, fundamentally wrong.  The root trouble is the sinner; he must be dealt with.  Our sins are dealt with by the blood, by we ourselves are dealt with by the cross.  The blood procures a pardon for what we have done; the cross procures our deliverance from what we are. (page 31)

No comments: