Friday, March 6, 2009

7


7 or 1 or 0 - who knows but God how many days are left. 7 until my due date but I'm thinking very soon.

Today has been the epitome of a day in the life of a small business owner. We had our tax appointment scheduled for 10 am this morning. Our accounting firm is so popular with small businesses you have to schedule 3-4 months in advance. It's also an hour away. Thank God Dave forgot a check, because we stopped by the business to get one and it was dark and locked. We called the employee who had no idea she had to work even though it's been on the schedule for 3 weeks. Needless to say, things got a little frantic for a few minutes. I ended up staying to run the show and Dave drove down to Boothbay to get the dreaded tax time over. This put everyone in an interesting mood... not always easy to switch gears suddenly on tax day when you're expecting a baby and you want your business run a certain way. You have to take these days with the good and there are far more good days. I think this has only happened (someone not showing up) two times since we owned the place. We are very, very fortunate and the employee felt terrible to say the least. The grumpy moods were overcome with time and the tax bill was good news as well. We are counting our blessings.

I did get lots of sympathy from our customers. They are all very concerned with me working a week before my due date. It has been one of the best things about my pregnancy... all the nice attention and concern from our wonderful clientele. I have received several gifts from people I barely know who come into the cleaners too. Very nice community we have the privilege of owning a business in. They're all very excited to meet the newest member of team Umstead and Spotless Cleaners.

No comments: